Sunday, June 1, 2014

Last thoughts?

I personally found Gulliver's Travels quite enjoyable. It's probably the best book I have read this year for communications. Swift does a great job in keeping the readers entertained, with all his jokes (love the bathroom joke especially.) It was also quite interesting to see how much information that I learned from AP European History came up in this book. Every couple chapters, I could find an allusion to some historical person or event that we learned in Euro. The reason I choose this book was because Japan was mentioned in on of the chapter names (interested in Japan.) But thanks to that, I was able to read such a great book. If I gave it a rating on a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 9 out of 10.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with everything, except best book of the year. I think I liked Fahrenheit 451 more. But the satire was extremely entertaining. Japan, really Tony...... I think I'd give it an 8. Not exciting, slightly repetitive, but still interesting and a page turner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thoroughly enjoyed the book - classics can be excellent reads. I also loved the connections that could be made between AP European History and the satirizations that Swift wrote in the book. However, the book did appear repetitive after a few cycles of the five steps that seemed to consistently repeat themselves after Gulliver met each civilization. Overall, I would rate the book as 9/10 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gulliver's Travels certainly achieved the title of one my favorite books, mainly due to the fact that it includes a sense of moral and political debate within a whimsical storyline.

    ReplyDelete